Acorn Squash and Apples
- 2 acorn squash
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium apples, cored & cubed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Pierce whole squash right through in several places with a long metal skewer.
- Place in opposite corners of microwave oven in paper towel.
- Cook 5 minutes; turn over; cook 5 more minutes or until soft to the touch. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Cut in half, remove seeds and fibers; place cut side up in shallow baking dish.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Toss apples with the lemon juice.
- Fill squash halves with apple cubes.
- Pour 1 1/2 tablespoons of maple syrup over each half and dot each with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Cook, covered with paper towel 5 to 6 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Fruit & Vegetable Recipes II by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe