Akoho sy Voanio
- one Chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- juice of one lemon (optional)
- one teaspoon grated lemon rind (optional)
- salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper or red pepper (to taste)
- enough oil for frying (coconut oil if possible)
- two onions, chopped
- two cloves of garlic, minced
- two or three tomatoes, chopped
- two teaspoons ground ginger (or one teaspoon fresh ginger, minced)
- one cup coconut milk (see the note about coconut milk on the Wali wa Nazi recipe page)
- In a glass dish, marinate the Chicken in the lemon juice, lemon rind, salt, and pepper for about an hour.
- Heat oil in dutch oven or any large covered pot. Sauté the Onion and garlic for a few minutes. Add the Chicken and continue to cook and stir until the Chicken is nearly done. Reduce heat. Add tomatoes and ginger and stir for a few minutes.
- Add coconut milk and simmer over low heat until Chicken is fully cooked and sauce is thickened. Stir often. Serve over rice.