All-season Quick Bread or Muffins
Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 lg eggs
- 1 cup sugar, white or brown
- 1 cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups prepared fruits such as banana, zucchini, carrot, tomato, orange or apple
- Choose from the following:
- Banana: peel and pure, 4 to 5 medium bananas for 2 cup total.
- Carrot: grate 1 or more medium carrots for 2 cups total.
- Zucchini: shred 3 medium zucchinis for 2 cups total.
- Orange: grate one tablespoon orange rind. Peel seed and chop 4 medium oranges for 2 cups total.
- Apples: peel, core and shred four medium apples. To two cups shredded apple, add one teaspoon lemon juice.
- Tomato: peel three to four medium tomatoes. Cut in halves and squeeze out seeds. Chop and measures two cups pulp.
- For quick loaves, have ready two greased loaf pans, 8 * ½ x 4½ x 2 inches. For muffins, have ready 2 x 12-cup muffin pans.
- In a medium bowl, combine flours, soda, baking powder, cinnamon and walnuts. If preparing muffin mix for storage, omit nuts and divide dry ingredients into three batches.
- In a large bowl,whisk eggs until foamy, add sugar, oil and vanilla and whisk until blended.
- Add choice of fruit or vegetables.
- Add dry ingredients and stir with fork just until blended. Do not beat.
- Divide dough between loaf pans or muffins pans.
- Bake loaves in preheated 350 °F oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in centre of loaves comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes,before turning loaves out on wire racks.
- When completely cool, wrap loaves in aluminum foil and refrigerate for 24 hours before slicing. To freeze for up to one month, put foil-wrapped loaf in heavy plastic bag and seal.
- Bake muffins in pre-heated 375 °F oven, 12 minutes for large ones, 10 minutes for small.
- Serve hot.