Kelewele is a fried plantain dish, akin to plantain chips. This recipe makes 6-8 servings. It will take about 30 minutes to make, with 15 minutes of preparation time.
- 4-6 plantain bananas, peeled and cut into cubes or chips
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water or lemon juice
- Vegetable oil
- Grind together ginger, pepper, and salt. Mix with water.
- Add the plantain cubes to the spice mixture. Let it marinate for 10-20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a skillet to 180°C (350°F). At this temperature, the plantains should float.
- Add the plantains to the skillet and deep-fry them. Turn them over once until golden brown on both sides. Do not overcrowd the skillet with plantains.
- After frying, remove any excess oil by using an absorbent material. Serve hot and fresh.