Amaranth Cakes with Wild Mushrooms
- To make batter for Cakes: Pour 2 cups boiling water over dried porcini, and let soak for 15 minutes. Using slotted spoon, lift Mushrooms from water. Carefully pour Mushroom water through fine sieve into another container, discarding any sediment. Rinse Mushrooms again, and chop very fine. Set aside.
- Place amaranth, shallots, salt, chopped Mushrooms and 1½ cups Mushroom liquid in medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to very low. Cook for 25 minutes or until grain absorbs all liquid. Transfer to mixing bowl, and cool. Stir in egg, flour and marjoram.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add Mushrooms, season with salt and cook, tossing from time to time, until Mushrooms release moisture and begin to brown. Add shallots and garlic, cook 1 minute more and add wine. Continue to cook until only a few tablespoons of liquid remain. Stir in butter and marjoram, and transfer to bowl or saucepan. Keep warm while making cakes.
- Pour ⅛-inch layer of olive oil into large skillet, and heat over medium heat. When oil is hot, drop in 2 tablespoon-sized mounds of amaranth batter, and flatten with fork into pancake shape. Cook until browned on bottoms, about 1 minute, flip and brown top. Repeat with remaining batter until used up.
- To serve, alternate layers of amaranth cakes and Mushrooms on individual serving plates or large platter. Top with shaved Cheese, and serve immediately.