Apple-Pear Tart with Cornmeal Crust
- To make pastry:
- Combine cornmeal, flour, Sugar and salt in food processor fitted with steel blade.
- Use sharp knife to cut butter into thin slices while still cold, then lay butter on top of dry ingredients in food processor.
- Pulse several times until butter is evenly distributed and mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add egg and pulse once or twice until just incorporated, then pulse in enough cream to bring dough together. Remove dough from food processor and press together into one mass.
- Divide dough into 2 uneven pieces, about two-thirds and one-third.
- Form each into ball, and flatten each ball into thick disk.
- Place each disk between 2 sheets of wax paper, and roll until about 1/8 inch thick.
- Ease larger circle into 9- or 10-inch pie pan and trim edges.
- Cut smaller circle into strips about 1/2 inch wide.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- To make filling:
- Slice Apples and Pear thinly.
- Transfer to bowl and drizzle with lemon or lime juice and toss with grated lemon zest.
- Combine cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugars and salt in bowl, sprinkle onto fruit and toss to coat.
- Arrange fruit in crust so skins show, and sprinkle cranberries over top.
- Arrange dough strips on top in criss-cross pattern to form lattice topping.
- Place filled tart on baking tray and bake in lower half of oven about 40 minutes, or until light golden on top and around edges.
- Cool at least 15 minutes before slicing tart. Serve warm or at room temperature.