Apple Bean Cake
- Grease 3 8-inch round cake pans. Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- In a medium bowl, cream shortening and Sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg; continue beating until light. Stir in bean puree and apple butter.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves and allspice into a medium bowl.
- Stir flour mixture into bean mixture until blended. Mix in diced Apple. Pour into greased pans.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes.
- Remove cakes from pans. Cool on racks.
- Prepare coffee Icing in a small bowl by combining powdered sugar, butter and a dash of salt.
- Beat with electric mixer on low speed until blended. Add 3 to 4 tablespoons coffee.
- Beat until smooth. Beat in remaining coffee, 1 teaspoon at a time as needed for spreading consistency.
- Layer cakes with icing.