Apple Custard Meringue Pie
Egg White / Meringue
- Mix the shortening and flour together.
- Beat egg and vinegar.
- Dissolve salt in cold water.
- Pour the egg mixture to the flour mixture. Then add the salty solution slowly.
- Massage the mixture into a dough.
- Cover the dough with a dry cloth and leave it to sit on a bowl for half an hour.
- Divide the dough into three parts. Roll one part and put in the baking tray.
- Now make holes with a fork to allow air to escape when it cooks. Bake with 375 F until it turns light brown.
- The other two parts can be kept for future use.
- Apple filling has to be prepared before baking the crust.
- Slice the Apples into thin slices.
- Add 2 table spoons of butter in a pan. Then pour in the sliced Apples stir for 2 minutes, add 4 table spoons of white sugar.
- Stir for 2 minutes, slowly add in 1/2 cup of hot water and cook with low temperature for 20 minutes or until the Apple is soft.
Custard (this can be done after the crust is baked)
- Mix the custard, Sugar, milk and cold water.
- Stir until all dissolve.
- Cook with low temperature until it boils.
Meringue (can be prepared last)
- Beat the egg white with Sugar and cream of tartar until light fluffy.
- Pour the Apple into the baked crust, then the custard and cover it with the egg white.
- Bake with 350 F until the egg white turns light brown.