Apple Oat Muffins
- ½ cup pitted prunes
- 2 tbsp water
- 1⅔ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- ½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt, optional
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup skim milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup chopped apples
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees place prunes and water in a food processor or blender and purée.
- Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt if using and cinnamon in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the prune purée, milk, maple syrup, egg whites and apples.
- Stir the we ingredients into the dry ingredients until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Transfer batter to nonstick or paper lined muffin cups, or to muffin cups lightly sprayed with vegetable cooking spray.
- Bake 20 – 30 minutes until muffin tops are lightly browned and a wooden toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
You can substitute ⅓ cup commercially prepared puréed prune baby food for prune butter (found in jam and jelly of baking section of your supermarket for the prune purée) the baby food prune jars you will need 2 x ½ oz jars and the prune butter will add extra calories to the added sugars in the mixture. I used the baby food prunes and it worked quite well.
- 144 calories | total fat 0 g (3% of calories)