Baked Chicken and Apples
Poultry Recipes by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 4
- 8 broiler-fryer chicken parts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- vegetable cooking spray
- 3 apples, cored and sliced
- In small bowl, mix together salt, pepper, ginger, curry and cinnamon; set aside one-fourth of the mixture (½ teaspoon).
- Sprinkle chicken with remaining spice mixture.
- Spray nonstick frypan with vegetable cooking spray; heat over medium-high temperature.
- Add chicken and cook, turning about 15 minutes or until brown on all sides. Pour off all accumulated oil from pan; set aside.
- To frypan, add water and remaining ½ teaspoon of spice mixture. Stir in reserved drippings.
- In 2-quart baking dish, arrange slices of two apples; top with browned chicken.
- Place remaining apple slices on top. Pour liquid from frypan over all.
- Cover and bake at 350°F. for about 45 minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.