- Wash the okra. Cut off the tops. Soak for 30 minutes in water with 1/2 cup of vinegar. Drain and rinse the okra.
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm a few Tablespoons of butter or oil. Add the meat and fry, turning, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a baking dish.
- Add the onions to the oil in the frying pan and saute until tender and translucent.
- Add the garlic, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, tomatoes, tomato paste, the 1 cup stock and cilantro. Stir well.
- Pour over the meat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and bake in the oven until the meat is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a saute pan over medium heat, saute the okra in a few Tablespoons of oil or butter for about 3 minutes, stirring gently.
- Remove the stew from the oven and arrange the okra on top in Sprinkle the lemon juice evenly over the surface. #Cover the dish and return it to the oven.
- Bake for another 35 minutes.
- Add stock or water if the mixture seems too dry.
- Serve the bamia stew hot, over white rice.