Beef à la Grecque
Makes 6 servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef or lamb
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green peppers
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 x 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon marjoram leaves, crushed
- ½ teaspoon rosemary leaves, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound eggplant, peeled and diced (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Cook beef, onion, green pepper and garlic in large skillet until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender crisp.
- Stir frequently to crumble meat.
- Add tomato sauce, broth, marjoram, rosemary, pepper and eggplant.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
- Stir in rice; sprinkle top with cheese.
- Cover and continue cooking 5 minutes longer.