Beid bi Lamoun
Egg and lemon soup
- 7½ cups chicken stock
- salt and white pepper
- ⅓ cup rice, washed or ⅓ cup Italian pastina or ¼ cup tapioca
- 3 egg yolks or 2 whole eggs
- juice of 1 – 2 lemons
- 2 tsp finely chopped parsley or chives (optional)
- Make a rich chicken stock with leftover chicken bones or giblets.
- If it is not strong enough, add a stock cube.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the rice, pastina, or tapioca to the boiling stock and simmer until tender.
- Beat the egg yolks or whole eggs and add the lemon juice, beating constantly.
- Add a ladleful of the soup to the egg mixture and beat well.
- Pour this back into the pan slowly, still beating constantly.
- Keep the heat under the pan very low, and cook the soup gently, stirring all the time, until it thickens.
- On no account allow it to boil, or the eggs will curdle.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more lemon juice if necessary.
- Garnish, if you like, with chopped parsley or chives, and serve immediately.