Browne's Bistro Bread and Butter Pudding
- 1 1/2 c milk
- 1 1/2 c whipping cream
- 1 vanilla pod,
- 1/2 ts vanilla extract
- 1 sm Loaf Stale French Stick
- 4 tb Softened butter For Spread
- 1/2 c Raisins (plumped in water)
Finely Grated Zest Of
- 1 lemon **or** 1 orange
- 1/4 c sugar
- 4 Whole eggs
- 4 egg Yolks
- 1 oz dark rum
- 2 tb sugar, For Sprinkling
- 30 Minutes. Remove And Discard vanilla pod Before Serving.Cut The bread Into Thick (1/2 Inch) Slices, Removing The Crusts IfDesired. Spread Each Slice Thinly With butter And Cut Into Quarters (orHalves if Slices Are Very Small).
In a Large Buttered Baking Dish (casserole or Souffl?), Arrange One-ThirdOf The Buttered bread in a Layer on The Bottom. Sprinkle a Half Each OfThe Raisins, lemon or orange Zest And sugar Evenly on Top. ArrangeAnother One-Third of The bread on Top, Sprinkle With Remaining Raisins,Zest And sugar. Arrange The Remaining bread, Buttered Side Up, on Top.In a Bowl, Lightly Beat The eggs And Yolks With The milk, Cream And rum.Pour This Mixture Into a Spouted Jug, For Easier Pouring. Pour The EggMixture Down Into The Side of The Baking Dish. Avoid Getting The TopLayer Wet or it Won't Crisp Up. (depending on The Volume of The Dish, You May
Not Use All The Mixture, or You May Need to Add a Little milk so TheLiquid Comes up Almost to The Top Layer. Sprinkle sugar on Top.Place The Baking Dish in a Large Roasting Pan Containing a Shallow LayerOf Boiling water. Place in a 350f Oven And Bake For About 30 to 40Minutes, Until The Custard is Set And The Top is Brown And Crusty. ServeHot From The Dish.
From "World Recipes Y-Group"
- "World Recipes Y-Group" http://Groups.Yahoo.Com/Group/World_Recipes