Burek with White Cheese
- 1 pkg dry yeast
- 1/4 c lukewarm water
- 1/4 tsp Sugar
- 3 1/3 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 c lukewarm water
- 1/2 melted butter
- Butter a large round pan (15-16 in) and set aside.
- Prepare yeast with 1/4 c lukewarm water and 1/4 tsp Sugar.
- Set aside. Sift flour and salt into large bowl, leaving a well in the middle.
- Add prepared yeast mixture into well. Begin mixing by hand and slowly add lukewarm water.
- Knead until dough forms a ball of medium consistency (approx 10 minutes).
- Divide dough into 14 equal parts, roll into round balls, cover and let stand for 1/2 hour.
- Melt 1/2 lb butter in saucepan.
- Roll out 4 balls into 6 in. circles, stack one on top of the other, brushing each layer with melted butter excluding the top layer.
- Let stand briefly, then roll out on slightly floured table to just a little bit larger than the bottom of your pan.
- Place in pan and brush top with melted butter.
- Mix filling and spread evenly to edge of pan.
- Now roll out one ball as thinly as you can; sprinkle with butter and gather it loosely into folds, and with a slight pull, elongate it.
- Starting from the center of the pan, place this dough over filling, circling it to look like a pinwheel.
- Repeat with remaining balls until you have reached the outer edge of your pan.
- Sprinkle generously with remaining butter.
- Cover with a tea towel and set Burek over a pan of very hot water for about 20 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 300 deg. for about 45 minutes or until nicely browned.