Calorie-trimmed Potato Salad
- From: Diabetic Living Diet
- Prep Time: 25 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Rest Time: 4 hours | Total Time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 10
- 3 lb round red potatoes
- 12⅓ oz soft silken-style tofu
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup celery
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup scallions, green onions
- ½ cup dill pickles
- salt and black pepper
- whole milk
- In a 4-quart dutch oven place potatoes and enough lightly salted water to cover.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until potatoes are just tender.
- Drain well; cool slightly.
- Peel and cube the potatoes.
- Meanwhile, for dressing, in a food processor or blender combine tofu, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, and the 1 teaspoon salt.
- Process or blend until smooth.
- With the processor or blender running, add oil in a thin, steady stream.
- When necessary, stop processor or blender and scrape down sides.
- Set aside.
- In a very large bowl combine cubed potatoes, celery, sweet pepper, eggs, green onions, and pickles.
- Add dressing, tossing lightly to coat.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
- Before serving, add milk or pickle juice, 1 tablespoon at a time, to reach desired consistency.
- 113 Calories | 4g Total Fat | 1g Saturated Fat | 286mg Sodium | 16g Carbs | 2g Dietary Fiber | 2g Sugars | 46mg Cholesterol | 4g Protein
- Exchanges: 1 starch | ½ lean meat | ½ fat
- Carb Choices: 1
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/