Caramelized Apples and Cranberries
- 1 Tbs. butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple juice or Cider
- 6 medium Apples, peeled, cored and thickly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- Peel of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbs. diced crystallized ginger
1. In large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar, and cook, stirring often, until Sugar is melted and starts to caramelize, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in apple juice. Cook, stirring often, until liquid starts to thicken.
2. Add Apples, and cook, stirring every few minutes, until soft and coated with caramel, about 10 minutes.
3. Stir in allspice, cinnamon, cranberries and lemon peel. Once cranberries begin to pop, stir in ginger. Cook until no liquid remains, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand at least 15 minutes.