Carmelized Onion and Green Olive Tapenade
Carmelized Onion and Green Olive Tapenade from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle and King County Department of Public Health -- original source of recipe, in the public domain
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 cups pitted green olives
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 7–8 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in thyme and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add wine and vinegar, bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and cook for an additional 7 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally.
- Place onion mixture in a food processor then add the olives and black pepper. Process until smooth.