Casserole de Santa Fe
- 3½ cups am blue cornmeal
- 1 tsp non-alum baking powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 cups milk or water
- 1 egg, beaten or egg replacer
- 1 cup chopped green chilis
- 1 tbsp am unrefined vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cup pinto beans (cooked with clove of garlic and drained)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2½ cups grated cheese
- chopped green onions to garnish top
- Combine first three ingredients.
- Combine milk, egg and chilies in a separate bowl.
- Saute" chopped onion in oil and add to milk mixture; stir into cornmeal mixture, then pour half of batter into the bottom of an oiled casserole dish (rectangular).
- Layer with beans, tomato sauce, and cheese; repeat layering.
- Bake at 375°F.
- For 40 minutes, garnish with chopped green onions and serve with salsa.