Cheese and Onion Rice Bread
Makes 8 servings.
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped Onion
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening or margarine
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup cooked rice, cooled
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar Cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Cook Onion in 1 tablespoon butter in small skillet until transparent. Set aside to cool.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into large bowl.
- Cut in shortening with pastry blender. Combine eggs and milk.
- Add to flour mixture, stirring with fork just until moistened. Stir in onions, rice and 1/2 cup Cheese.
- Spread dough in greased 8-inch round baking pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Cheese, poppy seeds and remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter.
- Bake in preheated 400 degree oven 25 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve Hot!