Chinese Flavored Fried Chicken with Green Onion Ginger Dipping Sauce
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Serves 4
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1½ teaspoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1½ teaspoons hot chili sesame oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Oriental sesame oil
- 1 x 4 to 4½ pound whole chicken, cut into 12 pieces
- 1 quart vegetable oil
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 x 1 inch pieces fresh ginger, halved lengthwise
- Whisk all ingredients in small bowl to blend.
- Can be prepared 1 day ahead.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Whisk eggs, soy sauce and sesame oil in large bowl to blend.
- Add chicken to egg mixture, turning to coat.
- Cover; chill at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat vegetable oil in heavy large pot over medium high heat to 375°F.
- Mix flour, ground ginger, salt and pepper in another bowl.
- Add chicken thighs and drumsticks to flour mixture; turn to coat.
- Add fresh ginger to oil.
- Fry chicken thighs and drumsticks in hot oil until golden and cooked through, about 10 minutes per side.
- Using tongs, transfer chicken to paper towels; drain.
- Coat chicken breasts and wings with flour mixture.
- Fry until golden and cooked through, about 6 minutes per side.
- Transfer to paper towels.
- Can be made 2 hours ahead.
- Let stand at room temperature.
- Serve with dipping sauce.