Chocolate Crème Brûlée
Smooth, rich, creamy, with a great caramel crust, and best of all chocolate!!!
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Place cream in heavy, medium saucepan.
- Bring to simmer and remove from heat.
- Add vanilla extract and chocolate and stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in medium bowl to blend.
- Slowly whisk in hot chocolate cream.
- Let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally, about 15-20 minutes.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 300°F.
- Arrange six ½ cup ramekins or custard cups in shallow baking pan.
- Divide cooled chocolate mixture among them.
- Pour enough hot water into baking pan to come halfway up sides of ramekins.
- Bake until custards are just set, about 40 minutes.
- Cool custards on racks (can be prepared 1 day ahead; cover tightly and refrigerate).
- Preheat broiler.
- Mix sugars together.
- Sprinkle over custard in an even layer.
- Place ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Broil 2 inches away from heat source just until sugar melts and begins to caramelize.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.