Chou à l'Ardennaise
Wonderfull braised cabbage!! Evolved from French Country Kitchen - Ann Hughes-Gilbey. Note: Suitable for any cabbage. Use red wine for red cabbage (plus currant jelly and vinegar),white wine for green and white varieties.
- 1 head cabbage
- salt and pepper
- ¾ lb tart apples
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1¼ cups wine
- 2 teaspoons juniper berries
For red cabbage only
- Quarter and core the cabbage, cook for 3 minutes, (5 or 10 for red cabbage) in boiling salted water.
- Drain, pressing out all water, shred.
- Peel, core and dice the apples.
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven, stir in the apples and cabbage.
- Season and stir in wine and berries.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, (or cook in a preheated oven 350 degrees, for 35 to 40 minutes) turn occasionally to prevent sticking, adding more liquid if necessary.
- When the cabbage seems almost ready, check the liquid,if it seems watery, remove lid to evaporate excess.
- For red cabbage, mash the jelly into the vinegar, stir into the cabbage and cook for an extra few minutes.
- Check seasoning and serve hot.
Red cabbage takes longer to cook than other types - a total or 45 to 50 minutes, 65 to 70 in the oven.