- Peel and remove seeds from 8 to 10 large cucumbers.
- Seeds can be removed with an apple corer.
- Slice into ½ to ¾ inch wide rings.
- Soak overnight in lime and water in a porcelain container (use non-aluminum).
- Wash, drain; soak in clear water and covered with ice cubes for 3 hours.
- Put in large pot.
- Cover with water and other ingredients for the boiling solution.
- Boil for 1 hour; then drain.
- Make syrup and bring to boil to dissolve sugar.
- Use one cinnamon stick for each jar you think you will have.
- Pour syrup over cucumbers and let stand overnight.
- Drain syrup from cucumbers into separate pan and bring to a boil.
- Pour back over cucumbers.
- After cool, cover with saran wrap.
- Repeat step 5 for 3 days.
- On the fourth morning, heat syrup again.
- While heating, pack cucumbers in sterilized pint jars (larger jars can be used) with cinnamon stick.
- Pour heated juice into jars to fill up almost to top.
- If you don't have enough, make more juice of water and red food coloring.
- Seal jars.
- Putting in water bath is optional.