Chunky Cheddar Fondue
This is the first recipe I made for my new fondue pot (my old one was sold in a garage sale in the 80's!). This is easy enough for a beginner fonduer.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounces) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounces) can green chilies, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 4 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese
- assorted raw vegetables
- carrots, sticks (or whole baby carrots)
- celery, sticks
- Mushrooms (quartered if large)
- green onions
- Cauliflower florets
- Broccoli florets
- green pepper strips
- zucchini, sticks or rounds
- French bread cubes or breadsticks
- Prepare vegetables and bread; set aside.
- In a 10-inch frying pan over medium heat, melt butter
- add Onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in tomatoes (break up with a spoon) and their liquid, chiles, and oregano; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered,for 5 minutes.
- Add Cheese, a handful at a time, stirring until Cheese is melted and mixture is well blended.
- Transfer to a fondue pot or chafing dish and keep warm over the heat source.
- Use vegetables and bread cubes or sticks as dippers.