Makes 6 main dish servings or 12 hors d'oeuvres
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup half and half
- 2 x 6½-ounce cans minced clams (drain; reserve liquid)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon dry vermouth (optional)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Cook onions in butter until tender but not brown.
- Stir in flour and cook several minutes longer.
- Add half and half and ½ cup clam liquid.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Add salt, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, pepper, cheese and vermouth.
- Blend a little hot mixture into the eggs.
- Stir all into clam sauce. Add clams.
- Turn into baked rice crust.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- To serve, cut into wedges.