Coconut Vegetable Soup
This is a great soup. It uses fried onion flakes, which Bergy first told me about. You can find it in Asian markets; sometimes they have fried garlic- I'm sure that would work well also.
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 medium zucchini, julienned
- 1½ cups napa cabbage, shredded
- 1 celery rib, finely sliced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 6 ounces unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed, pounded,and finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- salt (to taste)
- 2½ cups fresh bean sprouts
- fried red onion flakes (for garnish; optional)
- lemon wedges (for garnish; optional)
- Heat oil in a saucepan; add shallots, garlic, ginger, and crushed red peppers and cook until it becomes aromatic.
- Add the carrots, zucchini, cabbage, and celery, stirring it up to coat veggies with spices.
- Add the stock, coconut milk, lemongrass and turmeric.
- Simmer soup, uncovered, on low heat, for 15–20 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked to your liking.
- To serve, place a small handful of bean sprouts in the bottom of each bowl.
- Top bean sprouts with soup, and garnish with onion flakes, and serve with a squeeze of lemon wedge.