Cranberrry Chocolate Chip Cheese Bars
purchased from the Colvin Estate in Little Rock, Arkansas in 1989. Notation on card indicates this is a favorite bake sale “goodie”. Recipe from Old Farmers Almanac. Exact date unknown. These are incredible. I have made them at least once a month for the past year and I never make enough (I triple the recipe). They are gobbled up in no time.
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Beat butter and brown sugar in large bowl until creamy.
- Beat in flour, Oats and orange peel until crumbly.
- Stir in chocolate chips and cranberries (reserving 2 cups).
- Press remaining mixture onto bottom of greased baking pan.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese in small bowl until smooth.
- Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk.
- Pour over hot crust.
- Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture.
- Return to oven and bake 25 minutes.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.