Danish Liver Pâté
Traditional liver pâté served on open-faced sandwiches with mushrooms, bacon and Danish cucumber pickles.
- 1 lb pork liver or calf liver (pork liver is great)
- 10 ounces suet
- 1 medium onion
- 3 anchovies
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup light cream
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- Put the liver, anchovies, and onion through a meat chopper at least 3 times or use a food processor.
- The mixture should be quite fine in the texture.
- Mix in the flour, cream, eggs, salt, pepper and allspice.
- Spoon the mixture into a buttered loaf pan.
- Put it in a pan of water and bake in a 350°F oven for an hour.
- If the pate is browning too quickly place a piece of foil loosely over it.
- To serve, unmold the pate.
- Serve with fried mushrooms, bacon bits, and Danish white cucumber pickles and Danish rye bread.