Dave’s Basic Apple Pie
Featured for the Fourth! by Chef David Nelson
- Contributed by SF&SC Y-Group.
- 5 or 6 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- ½ lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp allspice
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 prepared pie crusts, or your favorite recipe
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Put the apple slices in a large bowl and add the zest and the lemon juice.
- Toss to coat the apples.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, flour, arrowroot, salt and allspice and mix thoroughly.
- Add the sugar mixture to the apples and stir gently to coat.
- Place the bottom crust into a 10-inch pie pan and top with apple mixture.
- Dot the top of the apples with pea size pieces of the butter.
- Top with second crust and crimp edges.
- Make 4 small slices in the crust for steam to escape.
- Wrap the edge of the pie with a piece of tin foil that just covers the crimped crust.
- Place the pie on a cookie sheet.
- I line mine with foil for easy clean up.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and return to oven for about 30 minutes.
- Juices will run out of the pie usually.
- I wait until they show signs of thickening.
- Place on a wire cooling rack for an hour or so before slicing.
- "SF&SC Y-Group" http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SF&SC/