Eggplant and Mushroom Strogonoff
Makes plenty for 4-6 hungry people. Recipe can be halved. I got this soup recipe off this group, but unfortunately lost the name of the author. It's really wonderful! the only comment is that i use less water when making cream sauces than is suggested here.
- 1 med eggplant
- 1½ lbs mushrooms, cut into thick slices (⅓ – ½ in.) (I used button and cremini didn't care for the shiitake though)
- ⅔ cup homemade soup mix plus 2 cups water or 2 cans low fat cream of mushroom soup
- 4 cloves crushed garlic (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp paprika (or to taste, I use more!)
- 1 tbsp nutmeg (or to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup each balsamic vinegar
- white wine for sauteing
- Cut the eggplant into thick slices (can leave skin on, if desired) salted the slices, and let them drain for about half an hour or so. Pat them dry with a paper towel, then cut into bite-sized chunks. (the salting/draining helps keep the eggplant from getting bitter).
- In a cup, mix equal parts of balsamic vinegar and white wine for sauteing.
- Add crushed garlic to this mixture, and use this to saute eggplant until it is nice and soft (15-20 minutes at medium heat).
- Remove eggplant, and saute mushrooms in remaining vinegar/wine mixture until they release their juices.
- Stir in eggplant, then add soup mix and water (or canned soup, if using that).
- Add paprika, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste, and cook 5-6 minutes until sauce has thickened and veggies are heated through.
- Add additional water if sauce is too thick, and do not overcook.
- Serve over rice or fettucine noodles.