Endive with Ham
This is an excellent appetizer using Endive, a Belgian famous vegetable, which is commonly known as Belgian endive. This requires, if any, basic cooking skills and will taste delicious. Substitute your favorite Swiss style cheese, and top with the sauce of your choice, if you like. Original recipe yield: 4 servings.
- 4 medium heads belgian endive
- 4 (½ ounce) slices prosciutto
- 1 cup grated Gruyère cheese or any type of cheese you like
- Preheat a grill to medium heat.
- When the grill is ready, lightly brush the grate with oil.
- Place the endive in a shallow baking dish with ¼ cup of water.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for 2 minutes, or until slightly tender.
- Remove from dish, and pat dry.
- Wrap each whole endive with prosciutto, and pierce with a toothpick to secure.
- Place each piece directly on grill and cook, turning occasionally, until ham is browned and endive is tender, approximately 3 minutes.
- Place in a shallow, oven-proof baking dish, and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Return to the grill, cover, and continue cooking until cheese has melted.