Filet ‘o’ Tofu Sandwiches
- In a shallow baking dish, whisk together the water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt, kelp powder (this ingredient is important to impart that seafood-y flavour/aroma), and dill.
- Carefully arrange the slabs of tofu in a single layer in this dish.
- Let marinate in the fridge for at least 3 hours, or overnight. Turn occasionally.
- Preheat your oven to 450 °F.
- Grease a small baking pan (I used a pizza pan) with the 2 tbsp oil.
- Place the pulverized cornflakes or crackers in one small shallow dish, the flour in another.
- Drain the tofu slabs, reserving the marinade in another shallow dish.
- Carefully coat the tofu slabs (one at a time) first in the flour, then dip in the reserved marinade (quickly), then in the pulverized cornflakes/crackers.
- Place on the oiled baking sheet and repeat with the remaining slabs.
- Place in the oven and bake for 5-10 minutes on each side, gently turning them once in a while, until they are golden.
- While the "fish" filets are baking, mix together the vegan mayonnaise and relish in a small dish.
- Unwrap the "cheese" slices and cut in half.
- If you have a vegetable or rice steamer, place the buns inside and steam them for the last 3-5 minutes of the fillet cooking time.
- Arrange the buns on plates, lay down ½ slice of cheese on the bottom of each bun, top with a "fish" filet, and 1 tbsp of the mayo/relish mixture.
- Cap each sandwich and serve hot.