French Dough I
In Romanian: Aluat frantuzesc I
- 7 oz / 200 g flour
- 1 yolk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar
- water as needed
- flour to dust the pastry board
- Knead a medium stiff dough out of 7 oz / 200 g flour, 1 yolk, lemon juice, salt and water.
- Gather it into a ball and cover.
- In the meantime, mix 8 oz / 250 g butter or margarine with 4 oz / 100 g flour, knead quickly and set aside.
- Roll the dough with water into a pencil thin sheet.
- Lay the flattened, square butter dough in the middle of the water dough.
- The butter dough should be three times smaller than the water dough.
- Cover the small square with the larger one, envelope style, and place the dough on a plate.
- Refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle the pastry board with flour and then roll the dough into a squarish sheet.
- Fold three times lengthwise and three times crosswise.
- Refrigerate for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Repeat this procedure four times.
- Finally, roll into a square, cut into 4 finger thick strips and then cut each strip into squares.
- Place the desired filling (cheese, meat, etc.) in one corner and cover with the opposite corner.
- Bake at high heat.