Fresh Cheese in Saffron Sauce
- Cut panir in slices about 1 cm (1/2 in) thick and cut each slice in half to make serving-sized pieces.
- Fry in half of the ghee and oil until golden. Put on a plate and set aside.
- If using ricotta cheese (it must be in a block, not in a tub) it should be baked to make it firm as panir.
- Cut block into 3 or 4 thick slices.
- Place on a baking tray lined with non-stick paper and bake in a moderate oven for 30–35 minutes until slices are golden.
- Heat remaining oil and ghee in a saucepan. Fry Onion until golden brown.
- Add tomatoes, spices, salt and Sugar and simmer until gravy is thick.
- Add the slices of Cheese and allow them to simmer in the gravy.
- Toast saffron in a dry pan over low heat for about 1 minute.
- Crush with the back of a spoon and dissolve in a tablespoon of hot water.
- Stir in about 5 minutes before end of cooking.