Fresh Roasted Tomato and Pepper Soup
Veggies for sauté
- Turn broiler on high, adjust rack to 3" wash and half all the roasting veggies and place cut side up in deep roasting pan.
- Prepare garlic to roast by cutting off top and slightly exposing each clove and toss in with veggies.
- Drizzle light with olive oil,and sprinkle scantly with raw sugar.
- Place under broiler to roast 20 minutes or until everything becomes blistered and black.
- You may need to adjust rack and time,or do in batches removing and replacing veggies as needed.
- Discard liquid from pan, pop out garlic clove and puree everything in a blender,this may need to be done in batches as well.
- Set puree aside, i do not strain this i like all the texture and color, but im sure you could if you want.
- Warm chicken stock on stove top.
- Place sliced onion in pan with a small amount of olive oil to carmelize.
- Stir until golden and gooey, add garlic at the very end, so not to burn.
- In a large, heavy bottom soup pot, melt butter and add flour, making a roux, stir and cook until dark brown and aromatic about 10 minute.
- Wisk in the heated chicken stock, when that is mixed add the tomato puree heavy cream and basil.
- Warm slowly and finally add the carmelized onion and garlic.
- Garnish with the pecorino cheese, grated with large grader.