Friture de la Moselle
- First the fish should be descaled.
- This is done by holding the main fin and scraping the fish with a short, not too sharp knife, in the direction of the head.
- With a very sharp knife, slit the length of the belly of the fish and remove the entrails.
- Dip the fish in salt and pepper, pour the juice of the lemons over them and ensure that they are thoroughly coated.
- Put 150 grammes of flour in a bowl and dip each fish into it until covered.
- In farmhouse cooking, the fish would also be dipped in a beaten egg and drained.
- In a deep fryer mix oil (¾) and pork fat (¼) and heat to 180°C.
- Cook the fish in portion quantities until golden brown.
- Serve on a preheated plate and garnish with slices of lemon.
- As friture are traditionally eaten with the fingers, it is wise to supply guests with a bowl of fresh lemon water.
- That is to wash their hands, and not to drink.
- For that purpose, riesling is used.