Garlic Mushrooms in Wine Sauce
Sauté a mix of cremini and white mushrooms with fresh garlic and red wine, then top with fresh rosemary for this traditional Spanish tapas dish. Optional red pepper in this easy-to-make recipe adds just the right amount of spice.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1½ pounds mixed mushrooms (cremini and white are the best varieties), quartered (about 10 cups)
- ½ cup red wine
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- Place the olive oil, garlic and crushed red pepper in a large sauté pan over very low heat.
- Cook until the garlic just begins to turn a light brown, then increase the heat to high and add the mushrooms.
- Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, then add the wine, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Uncover, then cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Top with the chopped rosemary and serve.
Per serving (144 g-wt.):
- 110 calories (60 from fat) | 7g total fat | 1g saturated fat | 3g protein | 6g total carbohydrate (less than 1g dietary fiber, 2g sugar) | 0mg cholesterol | 200mg sodium
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/