Comfort food. Garlic is good for you and tastes great. If you like french Onion soup, this is a nice addition to your soup collection. A salad is good with this soup for a light meal.
- Blanche the garlic for about 30 seconds until slightly soft.
- Cool, peel, and thinly slice.
- Saute onions in oil until they are soft and golden.
- About 10–15 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomatoes and tomato juice to onions.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Add beef broth and bring back to a boil.
- Ladle into oven-proof bowls and top with toast and cheese.
- Put in oven until cheese is melted.