- Melt together the butter, sugar, and honey over low heat, then allow to cool.
- Add the gingerbread spices, salt, grated lemon peel, sugar, and the egg yolk; stir until lightened.
- Stir the baking soda into the rosewater and add to the egg yolk mixture.
- Combine this mixture with the flour and knead into a dough.
- Let stand overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Generously butter a baking sheet.
- Roll out the dough on the sheet about ¼ inch thick, and cut the dough into long rectangles or stamp out little gingerbread men with a cookie cutter (the original "kathrinchen" are shaped like the pastries called "langues du chat", or "cat's tongues" - or ladyfingers with broadened ends).
- Whatever design you decide on, bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- And, if you choose, frost with vanilla or Chocolate Icing when cookies are lukewarm.