Gratin of Apples Onion and Gruyère
I obtained this recipe from an estate sale when I purchased the family collection from the Monsey Estate in Crandall, Texas in 1991. From "Catsrecipes Y-Group"
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 Granny Smith apple cored and thinly sliced
- 8 slices wine sap apple thinly sliced
- 4 slices gruyère cheese thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- In bowl of food processor fitted with chopping blade combine flour, sugar and salt then cut in butter and process mixture until butter is finely distributed.
- Add water and egg yolk then process until dough forms a ball.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces on lightly floured surface and roll out each piece to a 5-inch round.
- Fit each round into a 4-inch tart pan.
- Bake 15 minutes then reduce temperature to 350°F.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in skillet then add onions and sauté 10 minutes covered stirring occasionally then set aside.
- Melt remaining butter then add all apple slices and sauté until tender and golden.
- Fill each shell with sautéed onions and top with apple slices arranged in a fan pattern alternating two wine sap slices among the granny smith apples in each tart.
- Cover apple fans with cheese and bake 5 minutes.
- Garnish tarts with chopped chives.
- "Catsrecipes Y-Group" http://Groups.Yahoo.Com/Group/Catsrecipes/ Catsrecipes Y-Group