- 4 white bread slices
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pound freshly ground lean beef
- 2 slices smoked ham or bacon, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 garlic clove, crushed in garlic press
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- fat for frying, heated to 365°F
- Soak bread in milk 5 minutes, then mash and mix with ground beef, minced ham, salt, pepper, garlic, and tomato paste.
- Roll into walnut-sized balls, coat with flour and then with cheese.
- Fry in heated fat until golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce as a dip.