Hot Buttered Cider with Ginger and Cinnamon
Warm yourself with this fragrantly spiced, nonalcoholic beverage after a frosty night of caroling. — Stephen Ceideburg
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp whole cloves
- 3 tbsp whole allspice
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- ¼ cup sliced candied or crystallized ginger
- 6 cups apple cider
- 2 cups orange juice
- ½ cup lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1 stick butter, cut into thin slices
- 16 cinnamon sticks, for serving
- Mix the water and sugar in a large non aluminum saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cloves, allspice, cinnamon and ginger.
- Let the mixture stand for 1 hour or longer.
- Strain into a bowl and return to the saucepan.
- Stir in the apple cider, orange juice and lemon juice.
- Serve in mugs with a slice of butter on top and a cinnamon stick.
Note: the punch may be prepared several hours ahead and reheated before serving, if desired