Hunkar Begendi I
This recipe is for 8 servings.
- 2 large eggplants
- ½ lemon
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Smoke whole eggplants in covered barbecue, or bake at 350°F for 20 – 30 minutes, until tender.
- Add lemon half to water in shallow dish.
- Place eggplants in water, turn to coat thoroughly, and let stand until cool.
- Peel eggplants and remove seeds.
- Cut flesh into ¼" cubes.
- Melt butter in skillet.
- Add flour and cook and stir until light brown.
- Stir in milk.
- Add cheeses, eggplant, dash nutmeg and season to taste with salt.
- Cook over very low heat 5 minutes.
- About 99 calories | 144mg sodium | 24mg cholesterol | 8g fat | 4g carbohydrates | 3g protein | 0.26g fiber