- Preheat oven to 300 °F. butter a 2-quart casserole.
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, combine 3 cups milk and maple syrup.
- Heat until just boiling, then add butter.
- In bowl, combine cornmeal, ginger and allspice.
- Gradually stir cornmeal mixture into hot milk.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until thickened (coats back of spoon), about 5 minutes.
- Fold in cranberries or cherries.
- Spoon mixture into prepared casserole and pour remaining milk over top of pudding.
- Do not stir.
- Bake until milk has been absorbed and top is golden brown, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Serve warm.