Knockwurst with Sauerkraut Dinner
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- 2 slices cooked bacon, cut up
- 1 cup beer
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons coarse-grain brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons caraway seed
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- 1 pound fully cooked knockwurst, bias-sliced into 2- to 2½-inch pieces
- 2 medium cooking apples, cored and cut into 8 wedges each
- 1 x 16-ounce can sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- In a dutch oven or large pot cook onion and bacon until onion is tender but not brown; drain fat.
- Stir in beer.
- In a 2-cup glass measure combine the water, cornstarch, brown mustard, molasses, caraway seed, allspice, and pepper; stir into bacon mixture.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Add rutabaga; cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Stir in the knockwurst, apple wedges, and sauerkraut.
- Cook, covered, 15 to 20 minutes more or until apples are tender.