Kopustu Sriuba Su Kiauliena Ir Graybais
Cabbage soup with pork and mushrooms
- 1 lb pork steak
- 2 quarts water
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 1 large onion, sliced or chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 can sauerkraut, drained
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (fresh or canned)
- salt to taste
- Cut pork into 4 pieces.
- Place in large soup kettle. Cover with at least 2 quarts water.
- Heat to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for several hours until meat is tender. Remove scum.
- Drain sauerkraut, reserving juice.
- Add cabbage, sauerkraut, onion, and garlic. Season to taste.
- Cover and bring to a boil again, then reduce to a simmer for 1 hour.
- Add mushrooms and cook until tender; remove meat.
- Stir in more sauerkraut juice, if needed, to make soup more sour. (If juice is added, continue cooking for an additional 30 minutes).
- Cut meat into slices and serve with soup.