Limoni cotti al Forno
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
Lemons cooked in the oven. Not only is this antipasta super simple, it is great for a party - a 2-bite taste explosion! Even if you think you don't like anchovies - give it a go! Plus the bubbly mozzarella in the bright yellow lemon 'cup' make for a dramatic presentation.
- 2 large unwaxed lemons
- 1 or 2 x 5-oz. balls of buffalo mozzarella, sliced into ¼ inch thick pieces
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 2 ripe cherry tomatoes, halved
- salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 °F.
- Remove the ends of the lemons & discard them (don’t cut in to deep - you want to keep a closed bottom). Then cut the lemons in half crossways, giving you little lemon bowls
- Using a small knife, remove the lemon flesh, leaving you with 4 hollow lemon rind bowls. (Again you don’t want to break-into the rind)
- Cut a piece of mozzarella to fit inside, then lay a basil leaf, half an anchovy fillet and half a cherry tomato on top with a pinch of salt & pepper.
- Put another slice of mozzarella on top - the lemon should now be filled up. Do the same to the rest of the lemon bowls.
- Place on a baking sheet & cook in a preheated oven for 10 - 15 minutes, until golden & bubbling.
- Remove from the oven & allow to cool for a few minutes
- Serve with crostini. Scoop the mozzarella out & eat with the toast to mop up any juices!