Mandarin - Orange Cheese cake
This is a lovely cheesecake, rich and smooth. It is commercially available in Iceland. The cake is relatively cheap when you buy it ready-made, but I think making it yourself adds to the enjoyment of eating it. Serves 10-12.
- 1⅔ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 5 tbsp butter, soft
- 90 g lemon gelatin (Jell-O or Royal for example)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 500 g cream cheese, unflavoured, softened at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup cream, whipped
- 1 can (480 g) mandarin orange sections
- ½ cup juice from mandarin oranges
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp unflavoured gelatin powder or 2 sheets unflavoured gelatin
- Mix together cracker crumbs, 5 tbsp sugar and soft butter.
- Press into a the bottom and slightly up the sides of a spring mold (22 cm in diameter).
- Bake for 8 minutes at 175 °C.
- Remove and cool.
- Dissolve the lemon gelatin in boiling water.
- Be careful, you don't want it to set completely! mix together cream cheese, ½ cup of sugar and vanilla extract.
- When the lemon gelatin is about half-set, mix carefully into the cheese mixture, little by little.
- Fold in the whipped cream and pour into the mold over the crumb shell.
- Cool for about 1 hour.
- Drain the mandarin oranges well, reserving ½ cup of the juice.
- Add lemon juice.
- Warm up the juice and dissolve the flavourless gelatin in it.
- Cool, stirring occasionally.
- Arrange the orange sections on top of the cheesecake in a pattern.
- Gently spoon or brush the mandarin gelatin over the top.
- Cool until set.
- Remove the sides from the mold and serve.