Mandarin Salad with Tempeh
For a lovely presentation, garnish the perimeter of the serving dish with slices of cooked beets.
- 2 tbsp orange marmalade, low-sugar
- 1 tsp ginger, fresh, minced
- 1 tsp garlic, fresh, minced
- ¼ cup lemon juice, fresh
- ¼ cup vinegar, rice wine
- ¼ cup soy sauce, low sodium
- ⅓ cup orange juice, fresh
- ¼ tsp pepper, cayenne, or to taste
- 1 lbs tempeh, any variety
- 4 cup greens, mixed salad such as curly endive, radicchio and leaf lettuce
- 1 med carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup oranges, canned, mandarin slices, drained
- ⅓ to ½ cup yogurt, nonfat, plain
- Combine marinade ingredients in a shallow pan.
- Set aside.
- Cut tempeh into strips about 2 inches long and ½ inch wide.
- Steam 20 minutes.
- Drain well; add to marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate, basting tempeh with marinade occasionally.
- In a large salad bowl, toss together greens, carrot, mushrooms and orange slices.
- Strain marinade from tempeh into a separate bowl.
- Toss tempeh with salad.
- Stir yogurt into marinade, adding more for a creamier texture; taste for seasoning, the toss with salad.
Per serving: 235 cal; 15g prot; 5g fat; 31g carb; 0.1 mg chol; 428 mg sod; 6g fiber